Friday, April 27, 2018

300

I intended to post 6 days ago when I crossed 300 days without a drink. The significance of the number being tied to the story of the Spartans that held off a huge invasion from the Persians. That is more representative of my appreciation for Frank Miller than either the movie or the actual battle. Notwithstanding my respect for those embodying the modern Spartan ethic. Running a Spartan race is on my bucket list. But I digress. If you have been following along you know that I am well into 10 months of sobriety. You know that it has been challenging in a lot of ways. You know that I questioned my choice early on. Now that I have some distance from that choice I don't question it any more. I have mentioned before that it can be challenging to relate to people in AA who have had more visible wreckage. There are lots of people in AA who were not as fortunate as I was. And the longer I am sober the more times I see how truly fortunate I have been. All the times that I didn't get a DUI, didn't get in a fight, didn't injure myself or someone else. But I could have. And now that I can see those times I know that  I have made the right choice.
Last night I went to the late movie with friends.  BTW Avengers Infinity War is great. With all the story lines it had huge potential to be a cluster but they managed to keep it pretty clear and tie it all together. Anyway, in many movie theaters they serve beer now. And with these friends and at that theater I had my share of beers. Last night I had no desire for that beer. I even offered my ID so they could get a beer for someone not there. That was the 1st time I remember holding a freshly poured beer since being sober. It was odd. I didn't actually want it. For a split second I thought I could take a sip and it would be fine. But then I handed it off and got coffee. And I honestly didn't think about it again. I'll take that as progress in the right direction :)

No comments: