Sunday, July 23, 2017

You don't have to hit bottom

As I continue on this journey I meet more people who have been on it longer than me. Many have stories of some pretty hard times. The kind that you think of when you think of the hollywood stereotype alcoholic. People who lost their job, their families, went to jail, etc. In recovery circles they refer to those things for people who didn't experience them as "yets". As in I didn't get a DUI, yet. I didn't pass out on the lawn, yet. I didn't miss my big client meeting because I was drunk, yet. I am very fortunate that none of those things happened to me. But they easily could have. As I have said before I didn't stop drinking because of where my path has led to but because of where it leads to.
Your bottom is your bottom. You realize it is time to stop when you realize it. For me there was no catastrophic event. But I found this in my journal. This was after I had drank too much the night before and was really hungover. I was sick in bed most of the day instead of spending the day with Alisa and the girls.

"I drank too much last night. It is time to take a break from drinking. This time I will take a break for a year. If I can't do then I will go to AA."

I wrote that in April 2016. Needless to say I didn't stop drinking and I didn't go to AA for a long time after that. Now I have done both. I am traveling a lot so I don't know if I will go back to a meeting for a while but it is a humbling experience to attend one. I can't predict the future so I don't know what will happen. All I know is I am taking it 1 day at a time.

Day 28 of sobriety

No comments: