Friday, July 7, 2017

Just getting started

It's day 12 of choosing a sober life.  Yes,  I have gone longer without drinking before. A few times without thinking about it. But that was a long time ago. Now I am making a conscious choice. Every day.  Obviously, I am just getting started. With such a drastic change in a short time there are many people who are catching up. I want to make my choice clear for everyone. This is the best choice for me right now. You make your choices for you.  Just because I have chosen to stop drinking does not mean I will judge you for choosing to continue to drink.  It does mean that I may choose not to attend the same events as I have in the past. At least for now.
I go back to the analogy to relationships. Alcohol and I have a bad relationship. We just broke up. It is hard to be around alcohol. Over time that will get easier. But right now when I see alcohol I want to get back together so it can be like "it used to be."  I am not going to deny that we had some good times but there were some bad times too. And going down the road we were on the bad times were going to outweigh the good. Alcohol is not right for me. It may be right for someone else.

1 comment: