Monday, July 3, 2017

The choice has been made

Now that the choice has been made it is time to get down to it. I worked my 1st show since deciding to be sober. At the end of shows many producers, directors, etc like to have a toast with the team.  I used to be 1 of the 1st in line and often having a 2nd. This was the 1st time I remember declining. It was awkward at 1st being the only person out of 10 without a drink in my hand.  (I realize I should have been prepared with water or other beverage but I didn't think about what was happening.) So it was a little awkward for me but probably not anyone else. And in the big picture it didn't matter. I went back to work, finished my job, and drove home safely. Probably arrived less tired and I was not looking to have another drink. All in all it was a successful event.

Going from a brewer and beer expert (semi) to a non drinker is a huge shift. I mean, I know that going sober is a huge change for anyone but I have been loud and proud of my beer knowledge. My knowledge will soon become outdated and my desire to discuss it will dwindle. I notice every restaurant or bar that I pass and look at the taps. I imagine that will happen for a long time. I am starting to notice how often I would have had a drink but am choosing not to. Some of the "triggers", as alcoholics and others in recovery call them, are much more prevalent than I thought. We took a ride on the ferry (as a family) to SF to see a performance in Yerba Bueana Gardens. It was a beautiful day. We went to the diner in the ferry building for dinner. Its a burger, fries, and shake place. They also, of course, had beers on tap and I looked at every one. But as I previously mentioned, that will happen for a long time. The odd thing was when we got on the ferry for the ride home I really wanted a beer. They only have a few choices and none on tap. And it's not like the ferry is a raging drinking scene. And I was not with a bunch of friends who were drinking. But I still wanted that beer. Fortunately, I did not have it. And after a stop for ice cream with the girls I had soon forgotten about it.

Day 8 of living sober


No comments: