Sunday, August 13, 2017

Work and Play

If you are reading this blog then you probably know that I work in the entertainment industry. Much of the work I do involves being around people drinking. Whether it is the audience at a performance,  attendees at a event, or colleagues after work; alcohol is part of the entertainment industry. At first, it was challenging. Working with people for years and going out for drinks after creates a lot of inertia. As I have said before being loud and proud of my beer culture has made it difficult to change people's perception of me. As time goes on it is getting easier to say "I stopped drinking" and not feel uncomfortable. I realized after the 1st few times that most people don't really care. Most of the ones who do care are just curious. Each time I see an old friend who doesn't know there is a little awkward exchange but then we move on. If we go out I have a club soda with lime and that is usually the end of it. In many ways, I am fortunate to have colleagues who support me (and sometimes challenge my assumptions). They are willing to support my choice as long as I am clear about the choice. With any discussion having a dissenting opinion can clarify your own opinion. Recently I was discussing my choice with a friend who said "I know you enjoy brewing. And I know you enjoy beer." He is right. But home brewing is a hobby. And sampling beers around the country and keeping a log is a hobby. I will miss those hobbies. But I don't miss where those hobbies lead me or where they are leading me. Out of respect for my family I will leave the details out but let's just say that generations of men in my family have proven to me that I am better without alcohol.

In the past month I have traveled to NYC twice. I think those are the only 2 times I have ever been to NYC for more than 8 hours that I didn't have a drink at McSorley's. The 1st time I was disappointed. On the 2nd trip work went really well. I was finished early. In the past I would have gone beer tasting (and then drinking) until late in the evening. This time, I instead asked myself what I wanted to do. I did what anyone with an MFA in theater
would do on a free Sat night in NYC. I went to see a broadway show!


School of Rock was a lot of fun. The kids in the show are amazing. Seeing good theater was good for my soul. I left the theater feeling better than I ever did leaving a bar. 

No comments: